Senior web developer
Who am I?
- Senior web developer: programming and designing websites since 2003.
- Freelance consultant with a wide range of knowledge, including security, internationalisation and localisation, high traffic optimization and much more.
- Open source enthusiast, contributor to many projects, including PHP, SQLite, Fossil and more.
- Very curious and eager to learn new stuff!
What tech am I working with?
- I prefer to work with no framework when it's needed (high performance, low memory on embedded systems, etc.), as PHP is already a very well featured framework for a lot of things.
- I'm also happy to work with any framework, but my preference would go to micro-frameworks like Zend Framework, but Laravel or Symfony are fine too. Basically any framework can be learnt in a couple of days and mastered in a couple of weeks.
- Oh, I also love HTML5/CSS (used to be a member of the HTML working group at W3C) and have been an accessibility advocate for a long, long time.
- My experience with database is mainly with MySQL and SQLite and a bit of Postgre, as well as no-SQL solutions like Redis, CouchDB, and Memcached.
- I'm the sysadmin of a couple of Debian-powered servers since 2001.
Do I work with mobile platforms?
- Yes, since the PalmOS days.
- I like assessing the security (or most often the lack of) of Android apps on my free time.
- Senior developer.
- Project lead on Auckland Airport mobile app backend server, working in contact with multiple third-parties (Datacom, Auckland Airport, SmartButton, etc.) to aggregate a number of complex APIs in a single entry point for the app client. Using Redis, Laravel, MySQL and AWS. Leading major security upgrades, doing client counselling, and refactoring most of the existing code.
- Administrating the AWS accounts and instances of the company and of multiple clients (usually with Ubuntu and various JS/PHP frameworks).
- Security audits of internal projects and clients projects.
2014-2015 — Mad Mandarine (Dijon, France)
- Freelance web developer and consultant
- Development of various websites for customers.
- Security audits, accessibility reports.
2014 — Vinium luxury web agency (Beaune, France)
2011-2014 — La rustine, co-founder and director (Dijon, France)
- Bicycle repair co-op
- Developer, designer, mechanic and general manager
- Teaching bicycle mechanics to members, managing local computer network, relationships with members and suppliers.
- In charge of web and print communication.
- Programming of the internal web apps: accounting, calendar, stock and suppliers management as well as the co-op website and an extranet for members.
2010-2011 — Kidideux (Dijon, France)
- Web developer & sysadmin.
- Nonprofit organization working to help other nonprofits set up and maintain their online presence.
- Design and programming of various nonprofits websites.
- Full-stack web developer and lead developer on many internal projects
- Most popular social network in France, 30+ millions users and blogs. 20+ millions unique visitors every month, only second to Google.
- Project manager & lead developer for internationalisation (programming of our own i18n/L10n framework, development of a web app for translation, training of other developers, translators and web designers).
- Lead developer of APIs (REST, XML-RPC) and weblog back-end.
- Project manager for Groups
- In charge of the local fork of the Smarty templating engine.
- Various projects: ActionScript programming, MSN/Windows Live Messenger client, security audits and overview of external contractors.
2004-2006 — French ministry of youth and sports (Dijon, France)
- Web developer
- Programming & design of various local websites using custom made CMS.
2003-2004 – Kreactiv'Studio web agency (Montauban, France)
- Lead developer & sysadmin
- Various customer projects, extranet, supervision of contractors.
Bachelor of Computer Science (University of Burgundy)
- Java, PHP, Symfony, Algorithmics, Oracle, UML, Project management, Network and system administration…
- 2019: TOEIC English Test (maximum score of 990)
What does my code/work looks like?
- check-password-security.js is a simple password meter used to improve the security of passwords supplied by users at signup.
- SkrivLite, a lightweight PHP implementation of the Skriv Markup Language (demo here, part of my micro framework)
- An OAuth provider library in PHP.
- A MBTiles PHP server
- My Bubble Babble (a binary data encoding, much like Base64 but producing pronounceable words) library in PHP seems to have a bit of success as it has been ported to Python and has made it into the CodeIgniter framework.
- Garradin (in french), a complete non-profit manager including members, mailings, double entry accounting, client-side encryption and more.
- Fotoo Hosting is a imgur-like image hosting service but it does client-side resizing before upload.
- Other stuff is available on Github.
What do I contribute to open-source?
- Former member of the HTML5-WG (2008-2010)
- Casual contributor (patches, bug reports, packaging…) to projects like SQLite, PHP, Composer, Leaflet, Mapsforge library, OpenStreetMap, CozyCloud, Rain Framework, Smarty, FeatherBB, PunBB, MediaWiki, Dotclear, Fossil SCM, SPIP, Debian/Devuan, QupZilla, phpMpReloaded, Zend Framework, Linux kernel (e-ink screen driver, E60-open project), SublimeText VCS Plugin, PHP-EPEG extension (for fast JPEG resizing), PouchDB.
- Languages: English (TOEIC 2019: 990/990), French (mothertongue), and a basic knowledge of German and Māori.
- Outside interests: Photography (Tasmania Map cover for Frenchmans Cap and one book published: Landscapes and wildlife of Australia and New Zealand). Hiking, caving, cycling, rock climbing, mapping.